RE: practical question on planning new application: use flash, applet or SVG?

Your questions were...

Q> Which technologies to use for application
A> I agree with you going for JavaScript+SVG - it is by far the simplest and
fastest solution

Q> Is it possible to write drag-and-drop application with SVG + JavaScript?
A> Yes that is relatively easy to accomplish, see link list below for
samples

Q> Would the application be too slow?
A> No I do not see why that should be slow, as long as you avoid doing
round-trips to server to render the SVG. That should be done using
JavaScript at the client side, but you should of course do a round trip to
server to preserve your changes.

Q> Is there limitation in SVG or firefox support of SVG that an make such
application difficult to make?
A> I have not targeted FireFox as a platform, but are using the Adobe SVG
Viewer Plug-in (www.adobe.com/svg); the only problem with this viewer is
that it will be discontinued (see adobe for details). I do know however that
Opera, FireFox and Adobe SVG Plug-in in IE are implementing SVG slightly
differently and also relate differently to JavaScript (FireFox does not
allow you access to browser script engine from Adobe SVG Viewer, but
provides scripting support as embedded with SVG nativly - security reasons).

Some interesting links for you,
-
http://blog.codedread.com/archives/2005/12/01/guide-to-deploying-svg-with-html/
(introduction)
- http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/SVG/ (a lot of useful links)
- http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/03/27/svg-tips-tricks.html (SVG tips and
tricks - including link to drag and drop samples at the same site)
- http://pilat.free.fr/english/routines/ (examples using SVG and JavaScript
to modify DOM - including JavaScript)

Mozilla also have SVG pages: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG

The above demos (ex. pilat.free.fr) works with IE (with SVG Viewer
installed), but not with FireFox - can not help you with what needs to be
changed in order for the code samples to work with FireFox natively.

One point of concern is that SVG has not reached the maturity that was
expected - say two years ago, and the fact that Adobe has decided to
discontinue the viewer is also a bit alarming. But if you target FireFox
that is not a problem, and I have also heard that MS will most likely
support SVG nativly in future releases of IE - do not know when though.

I have also used SVG extensively on my site www.mind2map.com - including use
of JavaScript, drag&drop etc.

Good luck.

Hans P. Dramstad