Re: practical question on planning new application: use flash, applet or SVG?

Hi, zhangweiwu-

What you are looking for is basically a constrained DAG (directed
acyclic graph).  I've written many applications in SVG on this general
theme, and they are perfectly fast and usable in FF1.5+.  Obviously,
there can be some lag if the number of elements is very large (hundreds
of thousands of entities), and there are inherent challenges in
automatic layout algorithms and path avoidance (if you need that sort of
thing), but you would face that in any language.

Writing large JS libraries can itself be a challenge, but with a
well-designed architecture, and knowledge of efficient DOM programming,
I am confident that you can make an efficient codebase that is easily
maintained.

Most of the stuff I've done has ended up on an intranet, so I don't have
anything public I can show you.  If you really need reassurance,
however, maybe I could give you a WebEx demo or something, if I find the
time.

Finally, this is not the best list to ask such questions on, since it is
mainly intended for discussion of the specification itself.  You will
find many helpful developers over at svg-developers@yahoogroups.com .

Regards-
-Doug

Research and Standards Engineer