Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: 'line-increment' redundant

On Tuesday, March 21, 2006, 11:56:16 PM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Chris Lilley wrote:
>> >
>> > I strongly object to the introduction of the property
>> > 'line-increment'. It is redundant with the preexisting
>> > W3C property
>> > 'line-height' used by XSL and CSS.
>>
>> [No.]

>> Please let us know shortly if this explanation does not satisfy you.

IH> It does not. As I have said multiple times, I strongly disagree with SVG
IH> adding these features, because they are redundant with existing W3C
IH> technologies.

The response, which you summarized as "no" explained that the property
you suggested does not provide the required functionality. You provide a
second solution below:

IH> For example, one could do:

IH>    <svg:foreignObject width="..." height="...">
IH>    </svg:foreignObject>

IH> ...to obtain high-quality self-wrapping text that uses all of CSS'
IH> features (and equivalent markup can be written for workflows that use
IH> XSL).

One can already do that (presumably with a CSS stylesheet, which you do
not indicate in your example), or use other grammars such as
XSL-Fo,DocBook, etc in a foreignObject.

Subject to the fact that support of such markup goes beyond the SVG
specification to a compound document framework of some sort.

IH> If the SVG WG still insists on wanting to add their own version of
IH> text flow (which would be at least the third time the W3C invented
IH> such a system),

I think you forgot to count CGM restricted text, as well. Perhaps you
would like to recommend that HTML remove all elements beyond div and
span, since they are 'redundant' also?

IH> then please clearly indicate my disagreement (along with the
IH> disagreement of the numerous other people who have complained about
IH> this) on your report to the director.

Thanks!!!

We will note your outstanding dissent, along with the fact that this is
the number one requested feature from SVG users and is widely liked by
SVG implementors and generators of server-side customized content.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG