Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: 'line-increment' redundant

Hello www-svg,

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> I strongly object to the introduction of the property 'line-increment'. It
> is redundant with the preexisting W3C property 'line-height' used by XSL
> and CSS.
>
> Please remove this property from the SVG Tiny 1.2 specification.

We verified that the XSL property 'line-height' does not provide a way
to give a fixed line increment in user coordinates, and therefore that
the line-increment property is not redundant with it. A similar analysis
for the CSS2.1 property gave the same result.

Note that the CSS2.1 property is defined in terms of the CSS box model,
and the XSL property in terms of the XSL area model; SVG does not use
either of these models.

To be clear, for long text where the breaks can be computed in advance,
the existing SVG 1.1 code is:

<text x="20" y="70" font-size="30">This is a very
  <tspan dy="33">long bit of text</tspan>
  <tspan dy="33">which has been manually</tspan>

For text where the breaks cannot be computed in advance,
line-increment="33" does the exact same thing in SVGT 1.2.

Please let us know shortly if this explanation does not satisfy you.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG