Desired behavior of pathLength and startOffset

From: Alex Menzies <amenzie@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:15:21 -0600
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hi,
        I am having some trouble figuring out the desired behavior for
text being rendered on a path when both a pathLenght and a startOffset are
specified.  It seems to me that setting pathLength=?2? and startOffset=?1?
should cause the text to be rendered starting at the paths midpoint.  The
attached SVG script demonstrates these conditions.  I would expect the
text on the bottom rectangle to be rendered starting at the lower right
hand corner of the path.  However, under these conditions both the SVG
plugin by Adobe and the Batik SVG viewer display the text as if the
pathLength attribute were unspecified.  In the Opera9 Beta the text is
compressed and all the letters are rendered on top of one another at the
start of the path.  I would appreciate any insights into the desired
behavior under these conditions and thank you for your time.

-Alex Menzies

Alex Menzies
IBM Software Group
Emerging Internet Technology / Browser Technology
amenzie@us.ibm.com
512.828.8038