Re: SVG12: conversion to float vs NaN

From: nandini <Nandini.Ramani@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:46:46 -0700
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Hi Bjoern,

>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2006Mar/0032.html
>> On looking into this further, JavaScript does return NaN,
>> ( my earlier response was with reference to Java). In cases where NaN is
>> returned, it will be treated as any other unsupported value.
> I do not understand your response. I want to know whether there is any
> case in which code like x.getFloatTrait(y) would return something that
> is not equivalent to a real number. The answer depends on what
>   if requested trait's computed value cannot be converted to a float
For a property, when you getTrait, it already has the computed value, so
the WG resolved to modify the above sentence to
"if requested trait's value cannot be converted to a float".
> means. I do not understand what it means that such a value cannot be
> converted to a float (I also do not understand what a trait's computed
> value might be). It is unclear to me why this is listed as "The comment
There are instances where a value may not have a float equivalent, eg.
percentages, or keywords (like auto). In these cases,  an exception will
be thrown.
For eg., If width = "100%" and you did a getFloatTrait on it, it will

> resulted in some discussion, but no change seemed to be asked for", I
> would have thought "... please change the draft ..." is clear enough.
This was discussed within the working group and several implementors
agreed that there are cases where getFloatTrait method will raise an
exception for non-float values and hence we do not see the need to
change the specification. I hope this clarifies your questions.