Re: SVG12: Transfer-Encoding

* Doug Schepers wrote:
>I think "i.e." ("that is") is correct... I read it to mean, "content stored
>in a compressed format on the server (which is to say, content that has the
>the "svgz" file extension)".  Did you get some other reading?  Ultimately,
>though, this is merely an explanatory parenthetical, so I don't strongly
>object to removing it.  I would welcome other opinions here.

File storage and use of the "svgz" "file extension" are examples, there
are other ways to store content on a server and even where file storage
is used, the file system may not have a notion of file name extensions,
and even if, the use of ".svgz" is not an absolute requirement. So yes,
the text is incorrect.

>| Transfer-Encoding is about transformations applied to the
>| message body, not to the message as a whole, so this is incorrect aswell.
>| I suggest the note be removed.
>
>Would you be satisfied with the following, then?
>
>"Note: Compression of stored content (the "entity," in HTTP terms) is
>distinct from automatic compression of the message body, as defined in
>HTTP/1.1 TE/ Transfer Encoding."
>
>I am loathe to remove text that might clarify matters for some people, which
>is why I'd rather keep these passages.

The statement is trivial and any reader of this section can assumed to
be familiar with this information or expected to read up on it without
such clarification. The original statement is also incorrect, there is
no reason why the Working Group or reviewers should spend further time
on improving it.