RE: [SVGMobile12] Timer interface is inappropriate for a graphics specification

From: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:44:40 -0400
To: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, Ian-

Ian Hickson wrote:

| Please remove the Timer API from the Scalable Vector Graphics
| specification. It has no relation to graphics whatsoever. The
| W3C has far more appropriate venues to define timing APIs.

You may be unaware of my SmilScript library, which allows authors to use
some declarative animation in Firefox.  It makes use of the "timeout"
method, but it would have been much easier and more efficient to have used a
better timer mechanism such as this one.

In order to create dynamic graphics, especially cross-browser animations, we
need scripting methods that pertain specifically to the medium that is being
delivered.  The Timer API is entirely within the use case and purview of
such a graphics language.

Regards-
Doug