Re: [SVGMobile12] parseXML method needs clarification

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:36:00 -0500
To: Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>
CC: www-svg@w3.org

Erik Dahlström wrote:
> The text "when the contextDoc parameter is specified the processing must
> be equivalent to applying the following steps" does suggest that since
> importNode is used, an equivalent solution would have to throw
> exceptions for the same reasons importNode does. But I guess one could
> make other interpretations too, so what do you suggest?

I don't have any suggestions, other than suggesting that the text be written in
such a way that there is no "interpretation" involved, with the correct behavior
clearly spelled out.

> One way would be to remove the exceptions by wrapping the call to
> importNode in a try-catch statement. Would that be better?

I really don't care as long as the whole thing is consistent.  I have no idea
what use cases you're trying to address and whether those would be better
addressed by silently returning null instead of throwing, etc.