Re: [SVGMobile12] Resource documents and SVGGlobal

From: Andrew Sledd <Andrew.Sledd@ikivo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:37:45 +0200
To: <www-svg@w3.org>, <cam@mcc.id.au>

Hi Cameron,

we just noticed that we had given you an incorrect reply to
your comment. Sorry for that. Please see details inline, prefaced with

Please let us know very shortly if you have issue with this updated

Kind regards,
Andrew Sledd on behalf of the SVG WG

> Hi Cameron,
> Please see replies inline.
> Thank you very much for your comment, please let us know
> shortly if this does not address your issue.
> /Ola Andersson for the SVG WG
> -------
> From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
> Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 12:34:05 +1000
> To: www-svg@w3.org
> Hi.
> As pointed out by Maciej[1], there's a potential problem with
> resource documents and SVGGlobal. Consider this primary
> document (primary.svg):
> <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
> xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.2">
> <use xlink:href="resource.svg#g"/>
> </svg>
> and this resource document (resource.svg):
> <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
> xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.2">
> <g id="t"/>
> <script type="application/ecmascript">
> gotoLocation("somewhere.svg");
> </script>
> </svg>
> Some questions:
> * Does the resource document have a global object that implements
> SVGGlobal?
> OA: Yes, each document has its own context.
> * If so, will the gotoLocation method cause primary.svg or
> resource.svg or to be replaced by somewhere.svg? (I think it's
> unclear from the sentence "Request that the user agent traverse a
> link to the given IRI." exactly what is required.)
> OA: primary.svg is replaced. We have clarified this in the
> gotoLocation description by adding "The result of the
> traversal must be identical to the traversal caused by an 'a'
> hyperlink with the 'target' attribute set to '_replace'. The
> difference is that the 'a' hyperlink is activated on user
> interaction but gotoLocation is activated from script." We
> have also added your example to the spec.

NEW: The example you provided is not compatible with the spec
since <use> cannot reference an external resource that contains script
Therefore we have removed the example from the spec.
The clarification of the 'gotoLocation' wording is still
correct though.

> * If the former, should the resource document be allowed to change
> what document is being presented by the UA? If the latter, does
> that make sense at all?
> OA: Yes, the resource document can change the presentation.

NEW: No, according to the restriction in the spec there is no
way for the resource document to replace the primary document.

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2006Jun/0077>  for