[SVGMobile12] issues with the uDOM's Element

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:22:31 -0600
To: www-svg@w3.org

Dear SVG Working Group,

The getAttributeNS method defined in the uDOM [1] seems to be incompatible with
the DOM Core method of the same name [2].  In particular, they throw
NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR in different cases.  Further, it is not clear to me whether
the uDOM version requires that the implementation throw NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR for
attributes which SVGT1.2 UAs don't have to support, or whether it merely allows it.

The setAttributeNS method description says:

   A uDOM implementation must support setAttributeNS for all attributes.

Does that mean that it's possible to set attributes and then not be able to get
them?  How does this compare to:

   NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR: Raised if setAttributeNS tries to set an unsupported
                      attribute.

?

The description of when setAttributeNS should throw INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR does
not make it clear what an "XML name" is, unlike the DOM Core description.

I would suggest referencing the Core DOM for these methods and describing here
only differences from what the Core DOM says -- that will make it clear whether
the differences introduce incompatibilities with the Core DOM in UAs that wish
to implement both SVGT 1.2 and the Core DOM.

-Boris

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20051207/svgudom.html#dom::Element_getAttributeNS
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/core.html#ID-ElGetAttrNS