Re: [SVGMobile12] more on data types

Hi Jim,

www-svg-request@w3.org wrote on 01/11/2006 09:03:25 AM:

> <thomas.deweese@kodak.com> wrote:
> >   I personally can't believe the WG has made this change.  It means
that
> > no compliant renderer can inform users that they have made a mistake
> > because of course they haven't they have simply indicated to the UA to

> > ignore the value of the attribute.
> >
> >   Well, if we didn't have 'tag soup' before it will now quickly
> > proliferate.
>
> This is what you get if you mandate a particular form of error
processing,
> the processing is then indistinguishable from real processing for
authors.

   Yes, and no.  The SVG 1.1 mandatory error processing included:

        A highly perceivable indication of error shall occur.

   So if the author _wanted_ say a dialog box to pop up indicating that
a particular line of the file was in error then they could (in theory
anyway) count on that happening.  In practice I don't think any author
would desire that behavior.  So I don't think it's right to suggest that
all mandatory error processing is equivalent.

> If it's an error, it should be up to the UA what to do with it, there is
no
> need for interoperability of invalid content, indeed lack of
interoperability is
> possibly a good thing.

   I don't necessarily disagree with this statement.  My real issue is
with
mandated error handling that requires errors to be ignored -
implementations
are now forcibly barred from raising a content issue.

   If the WG wanted to loosen the error detecting & response requirements
I wouldn't mind, but instead they have kept essentially the exact same
error
detection requirement (width="100 " still needs to be recognized as an
'unsupported value') it's just that they have rewritten the way user
agents
must respond in a fundamentally different way (width="100 " now _must_
disable rendering of the element, instead of throwing the whole document
into error).