RE: [SVGMobile12] more on data types

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:38:46 -0800
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <fora@annevankesteren.nl>, <www-svg@w3.org>

Thanks for the good research.

It seems to me that there are two reasonable ways to go:

(1) Ian's model of having different syntax requirements for SVG's
"presentation attributes" (i.e., properties expressed as XML attributes)
than for CSS stylesheets. In this scenario, a value of "RED" for an XML
attribute would be incorrect content whereas a value of "RED" within a
stylesheet would work.

(2) Unify the syntax for SVG's presentation attributes with the syntax
used by properties contained within stylesheets. [But this gets us back
into the unitless values discussion and other thorny questions.]

It is sounding like most everyone is saying (1) is reasonable and also
it is sounding like we can't agree on how the unification approach for
(2) should work, and therefore Ian's proposal is looking good.

If we go for (1), then SVG needs to add at least one test to the test
suite which makes sure that implementations do not accept
case-insensitive keyword values for presentation attributes. (That is,
"RED" must not work within a presentation attribute.)