Re: Effect of 'animateMotion' on transform.animVal

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 05:09:38 +0100
To: "Jon Ferraiolo" <jonf@adobe.com>
Cc: "Cameron McCormack" <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>, <www-svg@w3.org>

* Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
>To me, the spirit of the API design with SVG is that you have to use
>alternate APIs with the strings "Anim", "Animated" or "Presentation" in
>the name in order to access anything about the animated state of the
>world; otherwise, the API will return the base values. Thus, I would
>assume getCTM returns the matrix without taking into account any extra
>transforms due to animateMotion or animateTransform. But the implication
>is that there would be no APIs which return a CTM which factors in any
>transforms due to animateMotion.

The only member with "Presentation" in it is getPresentationAttribute
which does not reflect the presentation value, and getComputedStyle does
reflect the presentation value but does not have any of the strings in
it...

>If my analysis is correct, then you have discovered a hole where SVG
>provides an incomplete set of APIs. (Not that this hole is hugely
>important to fill immediately. I am not sure how many scripters need
>this information. It is over 4 years since SVG 1.0 went to
>Recommendation and I don't remember anyone else asking about this.)

The issue Cameron points out is not new of course,

  * http://www.w3.org/mid/431ea5c9.137807453@smtp.bjoern.hoehrmann.de
  * http://www.w3.org/mid/00a501c33d81%2455dae430%246f1273d5%40mmstudio