Re: SVGT 1.2: Appendix C3: SVG Error Processing

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:48:45 -0800
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, www-svg@w3.org
To: Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>

On Jan 8, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

> Ian wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
>>>
>>> * I am against mandated rules error handling (and instead leave
>>> error
>
>>> handling to the UA, as Jim suggests) if the spec and implementation
>>> become complex.
>>>
>>> In other words, if it qualifies as KISS, then mandate interoperable
>>> error handling behavior; otherwise, tell content implementers and
>>> content developers that error handling is UA dependent.
>
>> That's not an argument against mandatory error handling, it's an
>> argument against complex specs.
>
> Ian,
> No, it is an argument against mandating complex error handling rules
> within specifications.

I think Ian's point was this: If error handling rules need to be
complex, then you have a problem, whether or not you put that
complexity in the spec explicitly.

I'm honestly not sure if SVG has underspecified error handling
behavior at present. The original point at stake was a suggestion
that the spec should not define error handling behavior at all.

Strict error-intolerance is an easy behavior to specify, but it does
create some difficulties due to the vast quantity of non-comforming
content out there. Another relatively simple rule that is likely to
be more tolerant of existing content and more forward-compatible is
some clearly defined version of "ignore attributes with illegal
values, ignore elements found in diallowed places in the tree". I
don't think the description of such a rule has to be complex, despite
the complexity of SVGs processing model.

But either approach would be acceptable, so long as it is clearly
specified.

Regards,
Maciej