Re: SVGT 1.2: no way to tell through uDOM if an attribute is present

From: Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@enst.fr>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:09:06 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3c.org

Hi,

Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :
> Since getAttributeNS returns empty string for both an absent  attribute
> and an attribute that is present but with an empty value,  there is no
> way to determine through the uDOM whether an attribute is  absent. This
> seems like a significant hole in the API and the  implementation load
> from adding hasAttributeNS seems small.
I understand the concern about compatibility between uDOM and DOM on getAttributeNS, but I don't think testing if an attribute is absent is relevant in SVG T1.2. In SVG T 1.2, the intent is that unspecified attributes default to a value, so whether it's absent or specified with the default value is the same. Could you explain why you would test if an attribute is absent?

Best regards,

Cyril Concolato

--
Dept. Comelec
Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications, Paris