From: www-svg-request@w3.org [mailto:www-svg-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Jim Ley
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 3:02 PM
To: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: Re: SVGT 1.2: Appendix C3: SVG Error Processing

"Eric Seidel" <eseidel@apple.com> wrote in message
news:502CD2E3-57B5-4309-B641-450371EB38DB@apple.com...
> These type of "recovery behaviors" are the de facto standard for SVG
> implementations (at least on the desktop) and it seems incorrect to
> me that the SVG 1.2 specification should require otherwise.

I fully agree, however the SVG specification should not specify such
error
recovery, but should leave it purely to the implementation.  The working

group is not in a position to know now what appropriate recovery is for
all
classes of errors, nor should implementation burden be forced on
implementors for erroneous content, equally interopable error behaviour
is
not really error behaviour as the specification dictates exactly what
should
happen and it will leave such errors baked into all future
specifications.

Just define what an error is, and leave the rest to the UA.  Vote for
less
work!

Jim.