Re: [SVGMobile12] Question on handling of <script> with xlink:href and child nodes

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:31:20 +0100
To: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Cc: doug.schepers@vectoreal.com, www-svg@w3.org

Quoting Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>:
> The problem that's raised here is that we're trying to define
> behaviour for all possible languages, and we don't know them all so
> we're in fuzzy-land. Some might not have any real XML in them (say,
> only in strings). Some might have some bits of XML (say E4X). Others
> yet may be all XML. The fact of the matter is that there's a context
> switch, and the conformance of everything contained within the script
>  element MUST be defined by something other than the SVG
> specification.

Well, within XML based-languages you'd only have to define what would
happen for
XML based-languages inside <script>. (E4X was a wrong example, sorry about
that.) The other type of language you might have inside <script> are

For XML based-languages the entire subtree of the <script> element is relevant
and for text-based languages you'd have to define some algorithm. What I
believe is implemented today is that descendent elements are processed first
and when you eventually arrive at the <script> element you take all Text nodes
(ignoring Element, Comment, etc.) together (probably by converting
CDATASections first) and pass them on to the script executer.

Anne van Kesteren