Re: SVG Tiny 1.2 CR2006-08-10: 10.4 text rotate

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:29:32 +0200
To: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Saturday, August 26, 2006, 2:53:17 PM, Dr. wrote:

DOH> Hello,

DOH> I noticed two things in the text rotate description
DOH> in the current CR section 10.4.

DOH> 1. It is noted:
DOH> 'A comma- or space-separated list of <number>s must be provided provided.'
DOH> - one 'provided' to much...

DOH> 2. I think, it is not a good idea to change the behaviour of rotate now
DOH> in SVG Tiny 1.2, even if the behaviour described in SVG Tiny 1.2
DOH> would have been more useful for authors if it would have been already
DOH> specified in this way in SVG 1.0/1.1.

While seeing your point, not fixing a case that was underspecified in 1.1 (it was assumed to have a given meaning, but it turns out others interpreted it differently) is also not good for authors.

DOH> What authors will get now is something unpredictable - some viewers will
DOH> show the behaviour of 1.0/1.1, some of 1.2 and I think there will
DOH> be not many viewers looking on the version numbering to display
DOH> it on way for 1.0/1.1 and in another for 1.2.
DOH> For authors this simply means, that the short form for rotate
DOH> with less numbers as glyphs will remain unusable for another five
DOH> or ten years.

Unless it is processed as an erratum for 1.1

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG