RE: SVG Tiny 1.2 is now a Candidate Recommendation

From: Peter Sorotokin <psorotok@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:41:04 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, <www-svg@w3.org>

It splits it in three properties, if remember right and not all
combinations of those properties can be expressed with vertical-align,
so there is extra functionality that has to be implemented.

But, I am looking at the final SVGMobile 1.2 again and these properties
are not even there! At this point I do not understand what the trouble
with implementing it is. Whitespace handling can be done as
preprocessing step. Rules for vertical spacing of the lines are indeed
different (line-increment) and they cannot be mapped to line-height, but
the rules themselves are very simple (much simpler than CSS rules, which
are commonly misunderstood) and there is no vertical alignment to worry
about at all.

Peter