Re: SVGMobile12] SVGT12-183: Rules for handling "unsupported" values don't work when properties are syntactically correct and specified using W3C mechanisms other than SVG attributes

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Nandini Ramani wrote:

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Dec/0055.html
>
> Quoting from the CSS 2.1 spec:
> "If a UA does not support a particular value, it should /ignore/ that value
> when parsing style sheets, as if that value was an illegal value
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#illegalvalues>. "

This applies to the parsing of CSS style sheets and is completely
independent of the handling of the cascade when the value has already been
successfully parsed. In the case of URIs, anything matching the relevant
production in the grammar is considered "value". The quoted section
therefore doesn't apply to this issue.

> So, an invalid IRI should be treated as an illegal value, which
> according to the CSS 2.1 spec should be treated as if it were not
> specified. So, the SVGT 1.2 honors the CSS rule.

Clearly the intention of the SVG working group is in the right place, but
unfortunately your interpretation of the CSS specification is incorrect.
The problem is that an invalid IRI value is still parsable and thus does
not get ignored at the parsing stage. Indeed, the UA will be unable to
determine that the IRI reference is "not valid" until significantly later
in the process, at which point the UA would be unable to process the
property "as if it hadn't been specified", since in the cascade, every
property is always specified.

> The WG disagrees with your proposed solution::
> "Please correct the specification so that unsupported values of <paint> have
> implementable handling, e.g. requiring that unsupported values be treated as
> 'black'."
> as this would contradict the CSS 2.1 spec.

As an editor of the CSS 2.1 specification I assure you that this would not
contradict that specification. It is in fact the current text that
currently contradicts the specification.