Re: [SVGMobile12] Question on SVG implementation in an XLink-aware processor

On Apr 04, 2006, at 12:56, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:37:29 +0200, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
>>>    <svg:image xlink:href="something.png" xlink:show="replace"
>>>               xlink:actuate="onload"/>
>>
>> Such markup is not conformant to the schema for SVGT 1.2, but I
>> assume
>> you knew that.
>
>  <svg:circle><svg:rect/></svg:circle>
>
> ... in the appropriate context with some attributes set is not
> conforming either. Yet, as an implementor, I want to know what to do.

Good thing the spec tells you what to do then!

"""
Within an SVG document fragment, unknown elements, including unknown
elements in the SVG or XML Events namespaces as well as known
elements in the SVG or XML Events namespaces occuring in unexpected
locations, and their descendant elements do not participate in SVG
rendering and are not processed beyond their contribution to the
construction of the DOM.
"""
(and more)
--http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/implnote.html

> I think the best solution would be if the SVG specification states
> that attributes in the XLink namespace MUST be ignored when applied
> on elements in the SVG namespace unless explicitly stated
> otherwise. And also that when an attribute in the XLink namespace
> is allowed but it has a value that is not allowed by the SVG
> specification the entire attribute declaration MUST be ignored.

I don't think you mean "attribute declaration" since SVG does not
make statements about how the formal part of the document type
definition should be processed, could you be meaning something like

"""
For unknown attributes in the XLink or XML Events namespaces, or
known attributes in the XLink or XML Events namespaces with
unsupported values, the user agent must process the element with
regards to, respectively, linking or event handling, as if the
attributes had not been specified.
"""

?

--