Re: [SVGMobile12] Question on SVG implementation in an XLink-aware processor

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:37:29 +0200, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
>>    <svg:image xlink:href="something.png" xlink:show="replace"
>>               xlink:actuate="onload"/>
>
> Such markup is not conformant to the schema for SVGT 1.2, but I assume
> you knew that.

  <svg:circle><svg:rect/></svg:circle>

... in the appropriate context with some attributes set is not conforming
either. Yet, as an implementor, I want to know what to do.

> This use of values for show and actuate which are not licensed by the
> SVG specification is outside the scope of the SVG specification. Don't
> do that. One might as well discuss (again assuming relevant ns
> declarations)

>  <head>
>  </head>

This was raised with the XLink WG. They refrained from answering the
question.

> or, indeed,

>  <head>
>  </head>

Per
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/appendix/notes.html#h-B.1
that seems to be "defined" as per
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.2
no such attribute exists for the <meta> element.

> [...] SVG describes what happens when allowed values for a
> particular element are used, consistent with the semantics of that
> element. By using non-allowed values, you are making a new language so
> its up to you to say how that language works. Redefining the semantics
> of existing elements seems like poor design, so you would be better
> using elements in a different namespace.

I think the best solution would be if the SVG specification states that
attributes in the XLink namespace MUST be ignored when applied on elements
in the SVG namespace unless explicitly stated otherwise. And also that
when an attribute in the XLink namespace is allowed but it has a value
that is not allowed by the SVG specification the entire attribute
declaration MUST be ignored.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>