Re: [svg11] svg out-of-context rendering

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:27:52 +0100
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>

On Oct 31, 2005, at 10:10, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Quoting Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>:
>> I suggest that SVG UAs *SHOULD* (MUST?) generate an error message
>> when
>> encountering content which does not have a root 'svg' element
>> surrounding the content.
> And what to do for UAs who are build upon namespace dispatching?
> (And have
> bindings for elements in a particular namespace which then results in
> rendering.)

If you use namespace dispatching the rect element goes to the SVG
implementation. Since it is not a conforming SVG fragment it is not
rendered. This is already specified in the existing conformance and
implementation requirement sections, and SVG Tiny 1.2 clarifies it
even further.

Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist
    Expway, http://expway.com/