Re: [SVGMobile12] Comments: Basic Data Types and Color Keywords

On Monday, November 28, 2005, 11:39:50 PM, Boris wrote:

BZ> Perhaps my concern was not clearly stated. It's not clear to me
BZ> whether the specification, as written, states that a conforming SVG
BZ> Tiny 1.2 UA MUST NOT interpret CSS units anywhere except these two
BZ> attributes. Or is this again a restriction on content (that is,
BZ> conforming SVG Tiny 1.2 content MUST NOT use CSS units anywhere
BZ> except these two attributes)? Or both?

It is a restriction on content, yes. Please see the eror handling rules
for cases where an attribute whose type is a numeric length contains an
invalid values such as "3cm" or "hello world".

BZ> It seems to me that the intent of the working group given the
BZ> explanation you sent is that CSS units MUST be supported for width
BZ> and height on <svg> and MAY be supported elsewhere, but that's not
BZ> what the specification says.

The intent is that CSS units MUST be supported for width and height on
<svg> and MUST NOT be supported elsewhere.

BZ> My comment had nothing to do with CSS; the mention of CSS was a
BZ> parenthetical in that CSS had a similar vagueness issue).

Ah - thanks for the clarification.

>> Because the list construct is mainly used for lists of numbers, we
>> did not feel (and still do not feel) it appropriate to take into
>> account vertical text space characters.

BZ> That's fine. Please make the grammar and the prose match each other.
BZ> As my comment said, they currently do not.

Yes, certainly.

>> Please let us know within 2 weeks if this does not satisfy your last
>> call comment.

BZ> That's pending replies to this response.

Fair enough. I'll check the current wording and get back to you.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG