RE: [SVGT 1.2] Question on sizing of the outermost <svg>

First off I will point out that I have been arguing that svg:svg should
have separate attributes for intrinsic size (which would not allow
100%/100%) for years and have been rebuffed by the SVG WG.

I agree that the 'width' and 'height' attributes on the svg:svg element
should *not* be considered "presentation attributes" and thus should not
affect the cascade of the 'width' and 'height' properties. In fact, the
SVG WG has been operating on the assumption that 'width' and 'height'
were not part of the CSS cascade since the whole thing stabilized about
1999.

Given my failures at persuasion, we have the 'width' and 'height'
attributes on the svg:svg as the only mechanism for defining intrinsic
width and height. With these attribute, a non-percentage defines the
intrinsic value, whereas if you use a percentage value the SVG content
does not have an intrinsic value.

My suggestion is that if there is no intrinsic value, then the intrinsic
value is defined such that it matches the algorithm in CSS 2.1 (i.e.,
300px for width, 150px for height, unless the screen is smaller than
those values). [1]

Jon

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#inline-replaced-width