Re: SVG12: Ogg media type

* Dean Jackson wrote:
>Firstly, thanks for all the feedback. We're slowly getting
>through them.

Thanks Dean, this sounds good. I was concerned that the Working Group
might request another Last Call Announcement or a Call for Implemen-
tations without formally addressing all the comments first as required
by W3C Process.

>We'll fix the media type.

Thanks, this satisfies that part of my comment.

>Note that we don't require Ogg Vorbis or Ogg encapsulation support
>in any implementation - these are just used as an example. Therefore,
>audio(application/ogg) will only return true in viewers that support
>Ogg (unless by "conforming viewers" you meant "conforming viewers
>with Ogg support").

Assuming that you mean the Working Group dropped the requirement in
section 12.1.1 ("SVG user agents are required to support the Ogg
Vorbis audio format") and no other audio format is required either,
I can't accept this response.

We know from experience with other web formats that this just yields
in a situation where different user agents support different formats,
but no single format is supported by all of them and consequently
using audio with those formats is challenging to impossible. Authors
are unlikely to provide their audio content in multiple formats, so
they would pick the format that works for "most" users for which
there is no gurantee that competing implementations can support the
format aswell due to legal issue.

Formats that require support for a specific audio format on the other
hand have proven to provide a solid ground for rich multimedia content.
The Working Group apparently agreed that SVG should be among those
formats and I see no reason to drop it this late in the process. The
Working Group should reconsider this decision and require support for
at least one audio format.