Re: SVG12: Ogg media type

On 29 Mar 2005, at 05:13, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>> Note that we don't require Ogg Vorbis or Ogg encapsulation support
>> in any implementation - these are just used as an example. Therefore,
>> audio(application/ogg) will only return true in viewers that support
>> Ogg (unless by "conforming viewers" you meant "conforming viewers
>> with Ogg support").
>
> Assuming that you mean the Working Group dropped the requirement in
> section 12.1.1 ("SVG user agents are required to support the Ogg
> Vorbis audio format") and no other audio format is required either,
> I can't accept this response.

Actually I made a mistake (the problem with sending email at
2am in the morning). I was thinking of video codecs.

We have not dropped the requirement. SVG User Agents are still required
to support the Ogg Vorbis audio format.

> We know from experience with other web formats that this just yields
> in a situation where different user agents support different formats,
> but no single format is supported by all of them and consequently
> using audio with those formats is challenging to impossible. Authors
> are unlikely to provide their audio content in multiple formats, so
> they would pick the format that works for "most" users for which
> there is no gurantee that competing implementations can support the
> format aswell due to legal issue.
>
> Formats that require support for a specific audio format on the other
> hand have proven to provide a solid ground for rich multimedia content.
> The Working Group apparently agreed that SVG should be among those
> formats and I see no reason to drop it this late in the process. The
> Working Group should reconsider this decision and require support for
> at least one audio format.

I'm sorry that I said it was dropped.

I'll note however that it may still be dropped if implementations don't
support it. The problem is that some implementations are restricted in
what codecs they support. There are some codecs required by 3GPP that
we can't mandate support for in a W3C spec (due to legal reasons).

Dean