Re: SVG12: XML 1.0 vs XML 1.1

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:43:37 +0200
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Robin Berjon wrote:
>>That is not correct: all XML 1.0 instances are well-formed XML 1.1
>>instances.
>
> Please consider me dissatisfied with this response; a data object cannot
> be a XML 1.0 document and a XML 1.1 document at the same time, these are
> mutually exclusive properties. It's disappointing that the SVG Working
> Group insists on this obviously technically incorrect position.

You're going to need detailed references here, for as far as I can tell
from reading the XML 1.1 specification, an XML 1.0 document is indeed an
XML 1.1 document as well. I see no contradiction there.

>>There were a few stray references to XML 1.0 which meant to be XML 1.1,
>>they have been fixed.
>
> Please consider me dissatisfied with this response aswell; without any
> detail on the changes, I cannot decide whether the changes are satis-
> factory to me, and fixing stray references to XML 1.0 does not address
> my concern about unclear data typing at all.

Since the SVG specification now references XML 1.1 normatively
throughout, it is clear that any mention of a data construct imported
from XML is from XML 1.1.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist