Re: DOM Level 3 events

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:56:44 -0600
To: Peter Sorotokin <psorotok@adobe.com>
CC: Jon Ferraiolo <jon.ferraiolo@adobe.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>, www-svg@w3.org

Peter Sorotokin wrote:

>>> You can do it per-listener rather than on per-list basis; but I'd
>>> keep two separate lists.
>> In other words, a listener registered for both event names would
>> indeed get the event twice?
> No, in this case each event listener entry in the list would have to
> store an event type for which it was registered (also would be needed
> for unregistering).

I'm sorry, but I think you lost me.  Say I have an event listener named
"listener" and an event target named "target".  We have our two event types
"type1" and "type2".  I execute the following code:

   target.addEventListener("type1", listener, false);
   target.addEventListener("type2", listener, false);

when the event fires, how many times will my listener's handleEvent method be
called?  Please note the provisions on addEventListener for registering
identical listeners.

Further, what is the behavior of:

   target.addEventListener("type1", listener, false);
   target.removeEventListener("type2", listener, false);

The answers to these questions should be clearly documented in the specification
of what it means for the two event names to be "equivalent".