Re: ISSUE: current user space and <svg>

Jonathan,
The key thing is that there are often two "current user coordinate systems"
for a given element - the one before you process 'transform' or 'viewBox'
and the one after you process the transformations associated with these
attributes.

Section 7.4 of the SVG 1.1 spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/coords.html#EstablishingANewUserSpace) includes
the following snippet in the first paragraph:

----------------------
The <file://coords.html#TransformAttribute>transform and
<file://coords.html#ViewBoxAttribute>viewBox attributes transform user
space coordinates and lengths on sibling attributes on the given element
(see <file://coords.html#TransformAttributeEffectOnSiblingAttributes>effect
of the transform attribute on sibling attributes and
<file://coords.html#ViewBoxAttributeEffectOnSiblingAttributes>effect of the
viewBox attribute on sibling attributes) and all of its descendants.
----------------------

and further on in the same section (if you follow the link to "effect of
the transform attribute on sibling attributes):
----------------------
The transform attribute is applied to an element before processing any
other coordinate or length values supplied for that element. In the element

<rect x="10" y="10" width="20" height="20" transform="scale(2)"/>

the x, y, width and height values are processed after the current
coordinate system has been scaled uniformly by a factor of 2 by the
transform attribute

However, I agree that it makes sense to add some additional clarifications
to the SVG spec.

Jon