Re: SVGT 1.2: CDATA blocks for scripts

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:49:26 -0700
Cc: www-svg@w3c.org
To: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>

On Dec 29, 2005, at 6:27 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2005, at 11:49, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> The one <script> example encloses the script body on <![CDATA
>> [   ... ]]>, but none of the <handler> examples do. Is this meant
>> to imply a meaningful difference in either content model or
>> recommended best practices for <script> and <handler>? If not,
>> then either the difference should be either removed or the reason
>> for its presence should be explained.
>
> CDATA sections are purely syntactical constructs used to facilitate
> escaping where need be. I don't see how they could possibly imply
> differences in content model or best practices since they cannot be
> differentiated from text at the CM level, and since for the latter
> it really is up to the author to figure out what she likes. Both
> are correct, both are examples of what can be used.

I don't think this is the world's most important issue, but I think
the spec could say this, and maybe give examples of each both ways.
Or it could just not use CDATA at all. Note that the CDATA section
that appears in the <script> example is not actually necessary to
escape anything contained in it.

Regards,
Maciej