Re: SVG12: <handler>, etc. vs <handler>, etc.

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:26:16 +0100
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

* Chris Lilley wrote:
>BH>   From http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/script.html I
>BH> am concerned that the new SVG-specific features conflict with work the
>BH> HTML Working Group is chartered to develop as noted in XML Events,
>BH> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xml-events-20031014 section 3.5. It would
>BH> be most unfortunate if these mechanisms turn out to be different or even
>BH> incompatible such that e.g. a compound XHTML2+SVG document depends on
>BH> different scripting idioms.
>Yes, it would. You don't indicate specific areas of incompatibility so
>we can only respond in general terms.

The promised specification is not yet available on the technical reports
homepage, so any such incompatibility would be member-confidential. The
SVG Working Group could work with the relevant Working Groups e.g.
through the expired Hypertext Coordination Group to find out about such

>BH>  Please explicitly request that the HTML
>BH> and CDF Working Group review this section. An official comment from both
>BH> Working Groups that the proposed features are consistent with work in
>BH> progress by the HTML Working Group would probably be satisfactory.
>We have asked the HTML WG to update XML Events to account for namespaced
>events; they have replied that they can start to do so once DOM 3 Events
>is in CR.
>The CDF WG is aware of the work in the SVG and HTML WGs, and tracks them
>closely, including shared WG membership and active participation in the
>Hypertext CG.
>While understanding your concern in general terms, we are not aware of a
>specific incompatibility. if you have noted one, please tell us about
>it. Failing which, we assume that this satisfies your comment.

The SVG Working Group's refusal to coordinate with the CDF and HTML
Working Groups is not satisfactory to me, no.