SVGT 1.2: uDOM Node.removeChild more restrictive than DOM Level 3 Core

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:24:51 -0700
To: www-svg@w3c.org

The removeChild specification for NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR says:

NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR: Raised if this Node is of type Document or if the
child, or any of its descendants, is of a type that cannot be created
with the
Document method createElementNS.

DOM Level 3 Core says:

NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR: If this node is of type Document, this exception
might be raised if the DOM implementation doesn't support the removal
of the DocumentType child or the Element child.

There are two issues here:

1) The exception on removing the root element of a document is made
mandatory rather than optional as in L3 Core. This would gratuitously
make some compliant DOM implementations non-compliant with uDOM.

2) It forbids using the uDOM removeChild method for removing non-
element node types, such as Element, this makes it conflict with the
DOM removeChild method and so it is impossible to implement but uDOM
Node and DOM Node interfaces on the same object at the same time.

I recommend removing the differences.

I also recommend quoting verbatim or better yet normatively
referencing the DOM Level 3 Core removeChild method (there are other
minor textual differences besides the two things I called out).

Regards,
Maciej