SVGT 1.2: uDOM Node methods/attributes with minor textual differences from DOM

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:22:44 -0700
To: www-svg@w3c.org

The following uDOM Node methods and attributes have minor textual
differences from the corresponding DOM Level 3 methods, but where the
intent seems to be to define them identically:

namespaceURI
localName
parentNode
ownerDocument
cloneNode

The textual differences fall into two categories:

A: not specifying behavior for particular edge cases (like parentNode
on a node outside the document, or ownerDocument on a document)
B: omitting verbiage relating to concepts not present in uDOM, like
Attr nodes.

I think category A differences are actively harmful, as they may lead
to interpretations that conflict with the DOM. I think Category B
differences are not particularly valuable, as additional text noting
aspects that don't apply would be sufficient.

Therefore, for all these methods and properties, I recommend quoting
verbatim or better yet normatively referencing the DOM Level 3 Core
definitions.

Regards,
Maciej