Re: SVGT 1.2 Comments and the need for accessibility techniques

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:24:57 +0000
Cc: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, "Scott Hayman" <shayman@rim.com>, "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@tiscali.co.uk>, <www-svg@w3.org>, <wai-xtech@w3.org>
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

Why do you continue to insist that I haven't read the appendix*?
It is clear that whilst the 'F' appendix may point to other normative
documents, they aren't in the SVG domain.

for instance as I asked previously in this thread, how is it intended
that SVG will meet WCAG 2.4.8 :

  Information about the user's location within a set of delivery
units is available.

" Providing a breadcrumb trail.
   Providing a site map.
   Identifying content's relationship to a larger collection using a
technology-specific technique.
   Using an icon or text to indicate current location within
navigation bars. "

SVG requires it's own accessibility techniques and guidelines.

Jonathan Chetwynd
Accessible Solutions

*My query regarding the accessibility appendix was why it had been
dropped from recent 'full' specifications.
the 'F' appendix comes after 4 years and frankly isn't representative
of the hard work that the SVG WG has achieved in other areas.

On 7 Dec 2005, at 09:11, Chris Lilley wrote:

On Wednesday, December 7, 2005, 8:17:01 AM, Jonathan wrote:

JC> Chris,

JC> Accessibility deserves more than your filibustering.

Jonathan, this is getting tiresome. I was going to reply privately to
save you embarrassment, but since you chose to cross-post widely I
feel it necessary to respond in public.

Accessibility is important. I have already told you that there is an
accessibility appendix,

although you can't seem to find it

or even read the right spec.

In other emails, or even in other parts of emails where you complain
that there is no appendix, you do find it,

but then seem unable to follow a link to a normative section and post
complaining that the appendix is informative.

Other days, like today and yesterday, you merely throw insults or state
that you have never had a response - which is not going to work in an
archived forum.

JC> On 6 Dec 2005, at 17:19, Chris Lilley wrote:

JC> On Tuesday, December 6, 2005, 8:02:43 AM, Jonathan wrote:

JC>> I also wrote recently to Chris and yourself regarding this issue,
JC>> but failed to receive any response. Also mentioning other relevant
JC>> accessibility failings in SVG.

JC> Actually you did get several responses, for example I pointed out
JC> you were looking in the wrong document.

  Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
  W3C Graphics Activity Lead
  Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG