Re: Request for Future Feature: Star Element

From: Cameron McCormack <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:34:17 +1000
To: www-svg@w3.org

Doug Schepers:
> Second, a wide variety of SMIL animation effects that could be achieved with
> this element (animating the number of points, the radii, etc.) would be nigh
> impossible without a boatload of script to do the animations, which defeats
> the purpose of having SMIL animation.

Actually, I think it would be reasonably simple to animate with a
'traitDef' element for each animatable attribute and a
TraitMutationEvent handler in the definition's handlerGroup to modify
the underlying path.

While I agree that a more declarative method for mapping custom elements
to their shadow tree implementations should exist, I think in this case
it wouldn't be too hard just with script.

As for semantics, I think there is much work to be done to decide
firstly what it means to include "semantics" in their SVG files and
secondly how to do it, without just relying on element names.

Cameron

--
  e-mail : cam (at) mcc.id.au    	icq : 26955922
     web : http://mcc.id.au/	        msn : cam-msn (at) aka.mcc.id.au