RE: Resolving URIs in shadow trees

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:53:24 -0700
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>, "'Cameron McCormack'" <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

At 10:25 AM 8/3/2005, Mark Birbeck wrote:

> > I don't know if I would agree with that.  I'm sure there'd be
> > situations where you want a binding document to have some
> > gradients defined (for
> > example) that are used by all the shadow trees for a
> > particular binding, and you want to use a URI reference that
> > contains only a fragment identifier.  It would be a bit messy
> > to have to include the gradient element in each generated shadow tree.
>Perhaps we need some sort of 'static' declaration, like in C++, where we can
>say that some content is available to all instances of a template, but it
>actually only need occur once. It retains encapsulation, which is one of the
>(many) benefits of XBL.

The way to do a static declaration is to put the resource definition
outside of the <xbl:template>. For example, here is an SVG file that could
be imported (as in xbl:import) by another SVG file:

   <linearGradient id="foo"...>...</linearGradient>
     <xbl:definition element="MyNS:MyElement">
         <path fill="url(#foo)".../>