Re: SVG12: seeking requirements

From: Craig Northway <craign@cisra.canon.com.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:04:03 +1000
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Hi Bjoern,

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>* Craig Northway wrote:
>

>>The UA cannot store the discarded elements for reinsertion, this would
>>defeat the purpose of discarding them! I can't see how there can be any
>>behaviour other than not reinserting the elements in the document seeks
>>backwards.
>>

>It is technically possible to re-insert discarded elements in many
>situations and user agent developers might consider the ability to seek
>in such documents more important than possible performance gains; the
>current text suggests that such optimization renders an implementation
>non-conforming without actually saying so. Hence I requested that this
>is either clearly prohibed or clearly allowed.

The working group have discussed this again. This will be clearly
dissallowed. The UA must not reinsert elements when the document seeks
backwards. If you are satisfied with this the text will now read:

    Seeking backwards in the timeline must not re-insert the discarded
    elements. Discarded elements are intended to be completely removed
    from memory. So, authors are encouraged to set the 'playbackOrder'
    attribute to forwardOnly when using the 'discard' element.

Regards,
Craig