Re: SVG 1.2 URLRequest interface

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:32:36 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Michael A Nachbaur <mike@nachbaur.com>, www-svg@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Peter Sorotokin wrote:
>>Yes, we indeed modeled URLRequest after XMLHttpRequest, it is designed
>>to be basically just as simple to use with just a little bit of extra
>>power. Everyone who used XMLHttpRequest or IE's MS.XMLHTTP should feel
>>right at home.
>
> Given that XMLHttpRequest has multiple interoperable implementations (at
> least four, so far, on at least half a dozen different platforms), was any
> thought given to just using XMLHttpRequest outright?

Yes, and it was considered to be sufficiently improvable that a newer
one would be advisable. Look at Mike's excellent comments that started
this thread for examples of things that can be done better.

> It would be unfortunate if implementations that support both SVG and HTML
> had to implement both interfaces.

This has seen the beginning of some discussion on the Mozilla SVG
channel. It would look as if an implementation of both would have an
extremely low cost.

--
Robin Berjon