Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Streaming

"Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote in message
news:41ABB65A.4090403@mit.edu...

> Jim Ley wrote:
>>> Perhaps I misunderstand the point of the timeline, that being to provide
>>> the user with some sort of time-varying view of the page.  If the user
>>> ends up missing part (or all) of it because rendering could not be
>>> started, that seems undesirable....
>>
>> It depends on the use case of course, which is why it can be controlled
>> with externalResourcesRequired AIUI.
>
> Can you name a reasonable use case in which you want the user to miss
> content?

SVG is a graphics rendering language, there are many graphical elements I
put on pages which have no importance to the user, they're purely there to
add eye-candy, these elements aren't required, the content part of the
graphics is important, the other parts not.  Much better if they can see
them of course, but if they have a slow connection, or the remote resource
is unavailable then I'd like them to carry on and get the content as soon as
possible.   An obvious example is the background image, say a simple
landscape in the background whilst the foreground animation of how not to
play with fireworks plays on and is the important part.

Jim.