Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Streaming

"Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote in message
news:41A38964.40200@mit.edu...
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but I see nothing that prevents an SVG
> element referencing resources by ID that come later in the document (if
> there is such a restriction, I would love to be pointed to it).

I do not want this restriction, and don't believe it exists currently.

> So while the use case described (with <page>) still behaves somewhat
> reasonably, due to the constraints on placing content after the pageSet
> and the constraints on referencing resources across pages, in general the
> onStart value of timelineBegin would lead to problems (that is,
> under-defined behavior).

What sort of problems do you forsee?  Yes rendering may not be able to be
started due to some elements of it not being resolved, but that doesn't
prevent the timeline from starting does it?

> What happens if streamedContents is set to "discard" exactly?  Are the
> discarded <page>s removed from the DOM?  What happens if a script in one
> <page> (eg off a click event handler) attempts to access objects in
> another <page>?  Is content allowed to do this, in general?  If it does,
> will it just see an inconsistent DOM depending on what, if anything, the
> UA has discarded?  This all needs to be clearly defined.

Yes, I'm still waiting for responses to these issues when I raised them from
a previous draft.

Jim.