Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 3:36:29 PM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> * Robin Berjon wrote:
>>Those are the precise people we do *not* want to put the burden of
>>resolving this on. They will have to deal with uncooperative server
>>administrators that'll refuse to let them control the character encoding
>>because all they (think they) know about character encodings is that you
>>have to provide one to avoid certain XSS attacks.

BH> Are you saying that the proposed registration would avoid that, i.e.,
BH> that http://www.bjoernsworld.de/temp/utf8-or-iso-8859-1.svg must be
BH> considered UTF-8 encoded by all implementations?

Actually I wonder about how you are serving that:

clilley@homer:~$ telnet www.bjoernsworld.de 80
Trying 212.172.16.14...
Connected to www.bjoernsworld.de.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD /temp/utf8-or-iso-8859-1.svg HTTP/1.0
Accept: image/svg+xml

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:53:43 GMT
Server: STYLIX GmbH Webserver (powered by Apache (Unix) mod_frontpage/3.0.4.3
Connection: close

Connection closed by foreign host.

Are you checking for particular user agent strings, or something?

However, Firefox can resolve it and displays the (UTF-8 encoded) content
correctly, although the developer toolbar 'display information' says it
is in 8859-1 (and also that it is quirks mode) ... I guess different
parts of the code, even in the same application, are getting different
answers.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group