Re: Reconsider SVG 1.2

On Thursday, November 18, 2004, 8:39:06 AM, David wrote:

>> One of the reasons that his is such a hot button issue for me is because
>> I have felt strongly for some time that SVG is "almost" complete, but is

DW> It is a long way from complete, even compared with PDF, as it doesn't
DW> include the semantic overlay,

Yes, it does. That is what RCC was for and is what sXBL is for - using a
richer more abstract semantic tag set and then providing an SVG
visualization of it without mucking up the DOM of the other tagset.

DW> which may not be demanded by an unregulated
DW> (commercial) market, but certainly should be demanded by the regulated
DW> market that is created by accessibility legislation.  (The PDF term
DW> for this overlay is "tagged PDF".)

Yes, it groups text elements that have been split to do kerning, a
common fault of PDF in the wild. This is why SVG has tspan with many
attributes to allow precise positioning, and requires that all text in a
text element plus associated tspan children is selectable as a single
unit.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group