Re: Reconsider SVG 1.2

"David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:200411180739.iAI7d6302349@djwhome.demon.co.uk...

>> One of the reasons that his is such a hot button issue for me is because
>> I have felt strongly for some time that SVG is "almost" complete, but is
>
> It is a long way from complete, even compared with PDF, as it doesn't
> include the semantic overlay,

It's a semantic rendering language, the semantics are in the rendering, if
you're wanting to include non graphical semantics, then your only choice is
to provide that in another language, either through the metadata element or
now with sXBL.

> At least one of the key parts of CSS, which is both most challenging
> to SVG and independent of the CSS syntax, is to meet accessibility
> requirements, namely user style sheets.

User Style sheets are only an appropriate way to meet accessibility
requirements if the content isn't presentational, which SVG is, users cannot
style things with presentational semantics, it's simply impossible.

Jim.