Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: vector effects

From: Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho@GMX.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:59:59 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Andreas Neumann <neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch>, www-svg@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
 >> > How is this different from having a shape <use>d several times with
 >> > different cascaded values for 'stroke' and 'fill' and different
 >> > applied transforms? (I'm not saying it is, I'm just trying to
 >> > understand exactly what the use case is here.)
 >>
 >> This is probably seen as bad use, at least in the case of text: if you
 >> repeat a text several times just to make an effect, it would hurt
 >> accessibility.
 >
 > It would be trivial for ATs to remark on the duplicate <use> and only
show
 > it once.

ATs? I suppose it is Accessibility Tools?
*would be* is probably the problem, that means the need to educate the
tools (OK), and also means existing tools may fail on this.
Note I first saw this objection on multiple use of text in CSS effects
done by overlaying two strings to make shadow effect...

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France