Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Detailed last call comments (all chapters)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Philippe Lhoste wrote:

> > 'filter' in particular is a problem. It clashes with a property that
> > was in an older draft of CSS2, and which was implemented by IE. It
> > basically means that IE will never be able to implement SVG in HTML.
> > (A lot of legacy content uses the 'filter' property.) It also means
> > that user agents such as Mozilla and Opera have to make a decision
> > when they implement SVG: Implement SVG filters, or implement IE
> > filters? IE filters are more widely used, but SVG filters are a
> > standard. It's not always a simple choice.
>
> Are the IE filters so widely used? Except to implement PNG transparency
> (which is needed for IE only anyway), I doubt it.

On the Web, IE filters are more widely used than SVG filters, yes. It's
not used as much as most other IE extensions, though.

Some of the more commonly used filters are the one you mentioned for PNG
transparency,and also those for flipping and rotating content. Most uses
aren't very obvious, you just tend to find them deep in stylesheets (e.g.
to rotate text in a table cell so that it goes vertically).