Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Detailed last call comments (all chapters)

From: Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho@GMX.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:26:51 +0100
CC: www-svg@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> We have fill, stroke, filter, etc., why suddenly we cannot have overlay?
>
> 'filter' in particular is a problem. It clashes with a property that was
> in an older draft of CSS2, and which was implemented by IE. It basically
> means that IE will never be able to implement SVG in HTML. (A lot of
> legacy content uses the 'filter' property.) It also means that user agents
> such as Mozilla and Opera have to make a decision when they implement SVG:
> Implement SVG filters, or implement IE filters? IE filters are more widely
> used, but SVG filters are a standard. It's not always a simple choice.

Are the IE filters so widely used? Except to implement PNG transparency
(which is needed for IE only anyway), I doubt it.

I believe a lot of people doesn't even know they exists, a portion of
the knowledgeable people doesn't use it (except perhaps in demo pages)
because they are specific, so this leave a quite little user base.
But perhaps I just missed the pages where they are used.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France

Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France
--  Professional programmer and amateur artist
--  http://Phi.Lho.free.fr
--  For servers mangling my From and Reply-To fields,
--  please send private answers to PhiLho(a)GMX.net