Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Detailed last call comments (all chapters)

"Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote in message

>> We have fill, stroke, filter, etc., why suddenly we cannot have overlay?
>
> 'filter' in particular is a problem. It clashes with a property that was
> in an older draft of CSS2, and which was implemented by IE. It basically
> means that IE will never be able to implement SVG in HTML. (A lot of
> legacy content uses the 'filter' property.) It also means that user agents
> such as Mozilla and Opera have to make a decision when they implement SVG:
> Implement SVG filters, or implement IE filters? IE filters are more widely
> used, but SVG filters are a standard. It's not always a simple choice.

The two have very different syntaxes, and can be identified from the
property, you're overstating the case here, the IE implementation doesn't
not overlap the possible values of the SVG filter, IE's filter property all
take values such as:

filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Pixelate(MaxSquare=50, Duration=2,
Enabled=false)

There would be no problem identifying these compared to the SVG ones.

Jim.