Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

"David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Consistency is needed. I want to check if it looks right on one client
>> only.
>
> But you have never seen the data in question.  If you do have the data
> locally, you, or your authoring tools can send explicitly broken lines.

No we can't, since we do not know the exact font metrics in our server side
tools, it's equally silly to build the font metric knowing ability into our
server side tools when the SVG UA already needs to know them.  We have a
choice, build it into our authoring tools - at huge development cost, and
still limit what we can do.

David, can you please realise that the Authoring Tool for many of us is the
client, because SVG is just a rendering language, and we feel it's key for
accessibility and consistency to keep the data in a semantic format until it
is rendered.  A solution involving authoring tools is of no use to us.

> The argument being made was that you needed consistent reproduction
> of data imported from third party, non-SVG, sources, such as GEDCom
> family tree files.

Yes, and I do that transformation on the client in SVG, but I can't display
much of the text from them, because developing the layout algorithm in
client-side javascript is too slow, and too expensive.  For the RDF gedcom
into svg example, you can see it here -
http://jibbering.com/nauts/gedcom/foafnaut.svg - it's not all that neat, and
it's not accessible, but that's through lack of time for what is a toy demo
done for an RDF gedcom developer.  What it does allow though is that the
same rich semantic data is shared between the user, and the SVG, encouraging
the authoring of the semantic data (as it doesn't need to be then
re-authored into a rendered format.)

Jim.